A few years ago, I went out with my colleagues for a meal after work. We all decided on an Italian restaurant that had just opened. We made ourselves comfortable and it was time to order the starters.
A dear colleague of mine, Francesco was speaking to the waiter in Italian and requested a dish that was not on the menu. I was intrigued and when all our starters arrived he got a steaming shallow dish of Spaghetti Aioli/ spaghetti “aglio olio”!
It looked so good and I wish at the time he had ordered I would have gone for the same. Though not on the menu he said that if you request it at restaurants they will most always accommodate as it is very much a loved dish in Italy!
In the next few days l, I just had to recreate this adorable dish for my husband and me. I put a twist on mine with lemon so that the freshness would cut through the strength of the garlic.
We have this very often now! And am so happy that Francesco had this dish as now we get to enjoy it! I hope you do too..
What’s cooking in your kitchen today? I have some stuffed peppers to prepare for lunch! Have a fun filled Wednesday! Much love D x
1 green chilli sliced finely
6 cloves garlic crushed
6 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt to taste
Lemon to taste
Fresh Spaghetti pre cooked
• Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan with the garlic on a low heat
• Add the chilli and oregano. Let the flavours intermingle. Cook on a gentle heat for 5-8 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic
• Pour in the rest of the oil
• Take off the heat and stir in some salt and fresh lemon juice
• Take the pre cooked spaghetti and place into the saucepan. Gently combine and toss the pasta until it is covered in the garlic oil dressing
• Serve with a sprinkling of parmasen cheese and devour!