Twinkle, twinkle orange star, how I wonder where you are? Being made by my mummy, being baked, ready for my tummy. Twinkle, twinkle little star, please mummy make lots more , fill my big cookie jar!
Crumbly soft orange glazed sugar cookies, really good for the kids and a great dunking cookie for us with a nice cup of tea!
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
Zest of one orange
4-6 tbsp icing sugar
juice of ½ a fresh orange
• Cream the butter and sugar together, stir in the egg, mix in the vanilla and orange zest
• Slowly add in the flour and baking powder to form a soft crumbly dough. Knead gently until smooth then roll into a ball. Cling film/plastic wrap it and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes
• Preheat the oven to 180°c/350°f/gas mark 4
• Take some dough and roll out onto a clean surface that has been dusted with flour. Roll out to 5-7 mm thickness and then use a star biscuit cutter to form the star cookies.
• Place the stars onto a baking tray pre lined with parchment paper and place the tray into the freezer for 5 minutes this will help retain the cookies shape
• Bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes or until just slightly golden brown in colour. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Cool the cookies on a wire rack
To make the icing ~
• Slowly add the orange juice to the icing sugar until you have a sticky icing glaze which is slightly runny but will set
• Drizzle the glaze onto each star cookie and leave to set
Store in an airtight container and they will keep for a few days
Recipe adapted from Make Bake Celebrate