I would sit at the large table with all my siblings and cousins around me when I would see my Nan bring in a large pot. She would lift the lid and the aroma of cumin, tomatoes and ginger would waft around us. One very special memory that I will never forget and to make sure I am able to recreate this curry as close as possible to my Nan’s. I bought some new potatoes knowing that my mum was to spend some time with me.
She too has been taught this wonderful curry that I asked her to teach me. I now have it to share with you all, so friends you can taste this curry and enjoy it as much as I do!
10-12 new potatoes peeled and quartered
100g tomato passata/crushed tomato
1 tbsp sunflower oil
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp grated ginger
Salt to taste
½ tsp red chilli powder
• Heat the oil in a small pressure cooker, throw in the cumin seeds when they start to sizzle
• Pour in the passata, add the potatoes, ginger and all seasoning and spices
• Stir well, close the pressure cooker firmly and leave on a low heat
• Wait for 2-3 whistles to blow from the cooker and check that the potatoes are cooked through
• It’s as simple as that but sooo good! The potatoes literally melt in the mouth! Serve with chapatis or naan bread with some natural yoghurt