Sweet, spicy and a hint of chilli is the trio of flavour you will get with these candied almonds that crystallize as they cool down. The sugar flecks off of them with salt to lift the sweetness.
Almonds are great for vitamin E and in turn for your skin and hair. What better way than to have them do a wonderful job for the body but also a taste sensation for our palettes!
I used less sugar so that I got a crisp coating on the almond rather than a sticky one, I know I will be making these again! And very soon!!
1 cup whole almonds
½ cup granulated sugar
⅓ tsp mixed spice
pinch of red chilli powder
1 tbsp water
Sea Salt for sprinkling
• Line a baking sheet with some greaseproof paper
• In a thick bottom base saucepan gently heat the sugar, water, chilli and mixed spice
• After a minute or so slowly add the almonds and keep stirring with a wooden spoon still on a low heat
• When the caramel starts to get sticky and brown, transfer the almonds to the lined baking sheet and sprinkle with some salt
• Once the almonds cool, separate them and store them in an airtight container. But to be honest they might not get from the baking sheet to the container! Ours didn’t! Lol 😉