“Start as you mean to go on!”, well that is the saying! I’ll try, but I can’t promise to be really healthy all the time. I do intend to make more healthy foods and enjoy them in many different ways, so come explore with me in 2014!
Broadbeans!!! Ummmm not one of my favourite things until very recently! They have always been around me and making an appearance as my Dad just loves them. I used to pick them out from anything my Mum used to make with them in it. My Dad’s plate came in extremely handy and he loved them being passed over to him.
So what’s changed? I really don’t know, maybe my palette has transformed and I’m quite enjoying them now. Strange what taste buds do in our life times!
This soup is an interesting combination of luscious healthy greens plus rice that I just adore! Making it a wholesome and vitamin and iron packed dish!
I fancy a bowl again, maybe for lunch?!
Have a tremendous Thursday, much love D x
2 spring onions finely sliced
1 garlic clove crushed
½ tbsp olive oil
⅓ tsp dried oregano
1 cup frozen peas
½ cup frozen broad beans
700ml vegetable stock
¾ cup long grain American rice
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
Salt to taste
• In a large saucepan sauté the spring onion and garlic in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes
• Throw in the oregano, peas, broadbeans and salt. Mix well and cook for 5-8 minutes until the beans take on a little colour
• Pour in the vegetable stock, stir bring to a boil, add the rice then cover and simmer for 10 minutes
• Lay the baby spinach on top of the soup and let it simmer until it wilts
• Serve alone or with some crusty bread