I love cheese and I love chilli! I’m always craving that combination! So I thought as it goes extremely well together, that I can make up a recipe for these two ingredients as a traditional savoury scone.
I made mini scones so didn’t feel guilty having one! You get the strong taste of the mature cheddar with a delicate hint of chilli which hits your taste buds right at the end. They nicely spiced up my palette after all the yummy sweetness I enjoyed over Christmas! Hope you enjoy them!
200 g self raising flour
60 g mature cheese
150 ml milk
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
A little milk to brush the scones
• Pre heat oven 220c/425f/gas mark 7
Mix flour,pepper and salt. Rub in the butter
• Add cheese and bind with milk to form a soft dough
• Lightly flour a surface and knead the dough a little and then pat dough to 1.5 cm thickness. Use a mini cutter and cut out scone rounds
• Grease a baking sheet on a tray. Place the scones on that tray and brush with milk
• Place in oven for 12-15 minutes until nice and golden orangey brown.
• Cut in half and butter. Best served when warm