Luscious lemon bars…I guess that says it all. However I will share why they were made this week. A treat for my husband as this time 10 years ago was the very first time we met, had our first dinner date and held hands!
So many memories I can recall with precious time just flying by. Guess I must be having fun x
I wanted to experiment with a type of sweet bar for ages and took this as a great opportunity. They turned out quite special! And from the lovely feedback I got from my youngest brother and his wife I shall definitely be making these again. He has requested them for his birthday this year! Well bro your in luck you’ll be getting a birthday cake aswell as these lemon bars xxxx Enjoy!
For the base
225g plain flour
50g icing sugar
130g softened unsalted butter
1 tsp lemon zest
200g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup plain flour
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
• Preheat oven to 180°c/350°f/gas mark 4. Put the flour, icing sugar, butter and zest in a mixer, whizz until it resembles turns into a crumble texture
• Turn out into a rectangular baking dish and press down firmly to form the base.
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown
• Meanwhile whisk the eggs, caster sugar, flour and baking powder until combined. Mix in the lemon juice and zest and set aside
• Take the biscuit base out of the oven and pour in the lemon egg mixture
slowly place back into the oven for a further 20-25 minutes until the topping has set and is slightly golden in colour
• Leave to cool in the dish, once reached room temperature cut into square slices and dust with icing sugar. Store in the refrigerator and eat at room temperature to really appreciate the flavour!
(Adapted from pinterest)